Hasselt is a Flemish city and municipality, and capital of the province of Limburg in Belgium. The Hasselt municipality includes the original city of Hasselt, plus the old communes of Sint-Lambrechts-Herk, Wimmertingen, Kermt, Spalbeek, Kuringen, Stokrooie, Stevoort and Runkst, as well as the hamlets and parishes of Kiewit, Godsheide and Rapertingen.
If you are planning to come to Hasselt by bike, you can use the Limburg Fietsparadijs Route Planner.
The following bicycle parking facilities in the city centre are guarded:
- Groenplein (behind the town hall, 8 minutes walking distance): 9 am – 6 pm (Monday to Friday) and 10 am – 6 pm (Saturday)
- Capucienenplein (TT quarter, 10 minutes walking distance): 10 am – 6 pm (Monday to Saturday)
- Please note there is no supervision on public holidays.
There are five airports located close or in the area of Flanders. The airports are:
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (NL) +/- 200 km
- Eindhoven Airport (NL) +/- 73 km
- Liege Airport (BE) +/- 55 km
- Maastricht Aachen Airport (NL) +/- 48 km
- Brussels Zaventem Airport (BE) +/- 78 km
- Brussels South Charleroi Airport (BE) +/- 130 km
- Antwerpen Airport +/- 78 km
We advise delegates from America to fly to Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and from there to Brussels by plane or Hasselt by train or even by bicycle. Another option is to fly to Canada first and then to Brussels. Please consult your airline for their advice and offer.
You can easily reach Hasselt via the E313 (exit 27, 28 and 29) and E314 (exit 29) motorways. There are numerous car parks in and around the city centre. Please find below an overview of the parking possibilities:
Parking in the city centre
- Mouttoren (6 minutes walking distance)
- Vildersstraat (8 minutes walking distance)
- Truierbrug zuid (14 minutes walking distance)
- Cultureel Centrum (14 minutes walking distance)
- Click here for more information.
Parking garages (paying):
- Kolonel Dusartplein (3 minutes walking distance)
- Molenpoort (5 minutes walking distance)
- TT-wijk (10 minutes walking distance)
- Click here for more information about the parking garages.
Parking in the Centre zone - within and on Groene Boulevard - must be paid for during the day (9.00 - 19.00). On-street parking costs one euro for the first hour and two euros for each subsequent hour. Click here for more information and click here for the ground plan.
Parking spaces for people with disabilities:
Clearly display a valid parking permit for persons with disabilities behind your windshield to park in any parking spot across the city. Parking is free, except in the underground car parks.
Regular fast bus services from Maaseik, Lommel, Neerpelt and Geel stop in front of Hasselt Station. There are also good connections to Hasselt from virtually every municipality in Limburg.
- The Boulevardpendel ('Boulevard Shuttle', which will take you near the faculty, also leaves Hasselt Station every 5 minutes. Get off at the 'Kolonel Dusartplein' stop. The bus journey from the station to Dusartplein takes about 8 minutes. From Kolonel Dusartplein, follow the signs to 'Faculteit Rechten - Universiteit Hasselt'.
- The Campushopper is a bus that travels between Hasselt station and Genk station, with stops that include the 'Kolonel Dusartplein' stop in Hasselt and the stops at Diepenbeek campus.
- Services 45, 20A, 36 and 453 depart from Diepenbeek Campus to Kolonel Dusartplein in Hasselt.
Services 1 and 45 depart from Genk Station to Kolonel Dusartplein.
- More information is available from De Lijn Limburg.
From Antwerp, Bruges, Brussels, Ghent, Leuven and Liège, there are direct connections to the capital of Limburg every hour, seven days a week.
More information can be found on the website of the Belgian National Railway Company (NMBS/SNCB).
You can take a taxi from the entrance to Hasselt Station. A taxi from Kolonel Dusartplein costs approximately € 5.00. From Kolonel Dusartplein, you can then walk to Hasselt Campus, by following the signs 'Faculteit Rechten - Universiteit Hasselt'.
Good to know
- At Groenplein you can use a bicycle pump free of charge.
- Public toilets are available at Groenplein, Capucienenplein and Molenpoortplein.